The town was first mentioned in a written document in 1421. It is thought that the town’s name comes from the family of a certain Tetyo (Tetyov rod), who settled in the area and founded the town. Older variants of the town’s name found in documents are Tetyuven and Tetyuvene.
Golets to Teteven is 50min drive.
A thriving city in the 16th and 17th centuries, Teteven was raided by organised Turkish brigand groups in 1801, burnt down and almost completely destroyed, with only four houses surviving out of a total of 3,000. The town later revived and was active in the armed struggle for Bulgarian independence in the 19th century, sheltering a revolutionary committee part of Vasil Levski’s organised rebel network.
Each summer a large chess tournament, one of the biggest events in Bulgaria’s chess calendar, is held in Teteven.
Don`t miss out the amazing waterfalls around Teteven – there is a nice walk in the forest starting from the end of the town, the waterfall is called Skoka.
The Glozhene Monastery is an Eastern Orthodox monastery located on the northern slopes ofÂ Stara PlaninaÂ inÂ Bulgaria, near the village of Glozhene and the Cherni Vit river, 12 km from Teteven.
According to the legend, the monastery was built in the 13th century (1224), when Ukrainian knyaz Georgi Glozh settled in the area with Ivan Asen II’s approval. The knyaz founded a monastery carrying the name of St George, whose icon he had brought with himself. The icon then disappeared numerous times only to be found on a hill not far from the village of Glozhene, which was interpreted by the monks as a divine sign to move the monastery there. This was eventually done near the end of the 14th century. The two monasteries existed in parallel for a short time, being connected by a tunnel to each other, but the tunnel, used many times by Vasil Levski during his secret missions, was destroyed by an earthquake in 1928.
The monastery church was erected after the creation of the monastery in the 14th century, but was destroyed by another earthquake in 1913 along with its frescoes. The modern church was constructed in 1951 on the grounds of the old one.